Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Copied by a bigger blog. Should I feel honored or insulted?

I checked one of my favorite blogs yesterday, and my jaw dropped. It's been exactly two weeks since I posted my list of "Top 10 Collectible Lego Minifigures". So imagine my surprise when I clicked into Topless Robot to find this.

Now, this could be nothing but coincidence, had it not been for the fact that I know the TR people read my blog.
Sure, the author of that list has made adjustments (top 21 figures instead of 10), and has used the digitally drawn pictures from TLG instead of using their own figures and pictures. I also know the author already has written a few pieces on Lego....
But really... who hasn't?

Admittedly, the nature of my original list is not very original, but the time frame, the way it's written, the way it's presented makes it just too apparent.

This is no coincidence.

It is normal procedure among bigger bloggers to steal from lesser known ones. We see it every day. And it had to happen to me (it probably already has, I just haven't seen it until now). So when it finally happens, I guess I should feel honored. But at the same time it's damn annoying to not at the very least be credited for inspiration.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I had a huge portion of my blog copied into another blog from way back when I started the blog in a class during the pursuit of my Master's degree.
I just checked and the blog is gone - vanished. Sweet!